Saturday, March 28, 2009

Im a Realist


We had a stall at the Yungaburra markets yesterday and apart from the wind it was a promising day. Sold some cards and a couple of larger artworks. Each time I sold a framed piece I allowed myself to run off and buy a couple of Bromeliads.


I did have one lady who I am guessing is an artist come up to me and ask if the computer makes my artwork? In passing comment she then told me she is a realist and I probably wont make any money with my artwork? I told her I am also a realist but believe in mixing things up. Anyway, it got me thinking about realism, surrealism and everything in between.

One reason I create artwork the way i do is to challenge peoples perception of reality.I believe in the buddhist, Taoist philosophy that reality is an illusion. Reminds me of the old saying "reality is an illusion created from a lack of drugs". I believe that by mixing mediums and merging ideas that these reflect the current times of our society. I also feel we are all part of the same living thing, many people talk about Gaia (earth mother) or spirit of the earth , but I think we are part of the earth and beyond.We are that spirit and we are all made of stars, dust and all.

One of my biggest influences is dreams and the art of dreaming. Dreams are a reality, they exist when we are dreaming and they do influence our daily lives. When someone tells me they are a realist artist i am not sure what this means? Does this mean they are alive? Does this mean they use traditional mediums and try their best to depict reality, Sometimes, so real that it becomes a Hyper-reality, which is also an illusion. I find these age old debates about traditional, authentic and real art very funny and i have noticed everyone has an opinion about everything.

If i was to put myself in a filing cabinet it would be under surrealism, because I like creating images which have pictures within pictures and overlaying hints of the dreamworld. Blurred boundaries between dual realities and fantasies of a human nature. Images that encourage the art of seeing from different perspectives and artworks where the more you look the more you see.I could waffle on for ever about artwork and realism, but what is realism to me certainly wont be realism to everyone, which is why all of these different ISMS get in the way of creating great art.

Artwork is my chosen language and the reality is I create beautiful pictures because I want to share with the world how magical life is.however, If I was truly honest i would say i don't know why I create artwork. I'm hoping one day to create the art piece which explains it all.Until then i will keep working as a REALIST artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment